For those you don’t know what exactly are these chia seeds, Chia is an edible seeds that comes from a desert plant Salvia hispanica. Apparently the seeds were known for increasing endurance–useful whether you’re an Aztec warrior or a mother with three kids. I usually go for the organic chia seeds, As you all know by now I’m a big fan of anything which is ORGANIC.
I’m usually not a big fan of the word SUPERFOOD. Basically because these tends to be a lots of hype and a big price tag for something that may or may not taste any good. So I was basically a bit hesitant to try the Chia Seed Superfood but we all know the word curiosity that got better of me.
And guess what??.. Chia seeds are pretty tasty little suckers if you know the right way to use them. When soaked and eaten just like that, chia seeds are actually tasteless, they absorb liquid and become very plump and soft. So today I thought I’d share on 5 facts you should know about Chia seeds and how to eat the Chia seeds and trust me you would love them as it is healthy and combined with their nutrition credentials they’re worthwhile having around.
5 facts you should know about CHIA Seeds.
- They’re high in fiber– The beauty of the fiber is that it promotes a healthy digestive system by feeding the good microbes in your gut.
- Healthy teeth and bones- Calcium can be found in high percentages in Chia seeds, which makes them incredibly beneficial for the strength and the health of your bones and your teeth.
- Egg replacement Since childhood I was allergic to egg, after a lot of research I recently found out that Chia seed can be used as egg replacement. How cool is that? Due to the aforementioned gelatinous nature of Chia seeds, once they come into contact with liquid, they make a fantastic replacement for eggs (in baking recipes). To create this replacement, simply mix a tablespoon of Chia with three tablespoons of water and let it sit for fifteen minutes. Voila!
- Gluten free- Gluten intolerance is becoming an increasing problem in 21st century society. Luckily, Chia seeds provide the texture and benefits of grains whilst being completely gluten-free!
- Disease Prevention-Chia seeds are high in antioxidants, which means they can help prevent cancer and heart disease. On a slightly less important note, they also help to keep your skin looking young and healthy. People with a high antioxidant intake are roughly 40% less likely to develop pancreatic cancer and reduce their risk of heart attack by 29%.
Now coming to my favorite part on how to eat the Chia seeds, I am going to share my favorite healthy recipes using Chia seeds that can used as breakfast, brunch and lunch which keeps your tummy filled for hours.
STRAWBERRY OAT MEAL CHIA SMOOTHIE
- Organic Chia seeds
- Organic Oat Flakes
- Low Fat Milk
- Low Fat Greek Yogurt
- Honey or Maple Syrup (Optional)
In a small cup or bowl use a fork to stir together, 1/2 cup of milk and 1 table-spoon Organic Chia seeds. Set aside for 5- 10 minutes, while you prepare the smoothie. In a blender, combine the remaining low-fat milk, strawberries, low fat greek yogurt, 1-2 teaspoon honey or maple syrup, 1 table-spoon Organic Oat Flakes and Ice Cubes. Finally in a glass, layer it with the blended ingredients and the soaked Chia seeds that you set aside in a small cup or bowl.
MANGO CHIA PUDDING
- Organic Chia Seeds
- Coconut Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Fresh Mint
Soak 4 tablespoon Chia seeds with minced ginger, vanilla and coconut milk for at least 1 hour, Stirring until the gel forms. Simply pour the Chia seed pudding into a serving glass with diced mangoes and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
A SLIM DOWN FRUITY CHIA SMOOTHIE
- Almond Milk
- Organic Chia Seed
- Oat Flakes
- Fruits (Kiwi, Banana, Grapes)
- Honey or Maple Syrup (Optional)
In a small cup or bowl use a fork to stir together, 1/2 cup of almond milk and 1 table-spoon Organic Chia seeds. Set aside for 5- 10 minutes, while you prepare the smoothie.In a blender, combine the remaining almond milk, 1 banana, 1-2 teaspoon honey or maple syrup, 1 tablespoon Organic Oat Flakes and Ice Cubes. Finally in a glass, layer it with the blended ingredients and the soaked Chia seeds that you set aside in a small cup or bowl. Garnish with fruits.
OVERNIGHT OATS AND CHIA SEEDS PUDDING
A simple easy to prepare super healthy breakfast packed with goodness of chia seeds. A super wholesome breakfast chia seed pudding.
- organic rolled oats
- organic Chia seeds
- Your choice of fresh fruits, dry fruits and nuts.
- Coconut Milk
Add all the ingredients except the fresh fruits and nuts to a container and mix well to combine. Leave in the refrigerator overnight to thicken.
In the morning, top with your choice of toppings.
ENJOY YOUR MEAL AND LIVE HEALTHY